A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Friday, September 2, 2011

Grandma Deb's Applesauce Leather

I love it when someone provides me with a practical and creative way to use up food from the previous year of canning.  I hate to see go to waste or sit in the pantry taking up space and getting old.  I happen to have many jars of apple and pear sauce that just never seem to make it into the dessert menu or baking plans.  Today I opened an email from sis, Deb McCaleb, showing me what she did with her canned applesauce (problem of too much apple and pear sauce solved!)   She simply poured the applesauce on the fruit leather trays of her dehydrator.  Great idea; couldn't be easier!  Off to my canning pantry to rummage for jars of fruit sauce.
Deb's healthy snack for her (many) grandchildren!

No comments:

Post a Comment