A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Canning Apples in Syrup

I have found that I'm never quite satisfied with my applesauce--too thick, too thin, too sweet--or not sweet enough...  We do like apples though, and I like baking with them in any form, so I decided to just can apple slices in a light syrup.  (I discovered when canning peaches that if I use a light syrup, I preserve more of the real fruit taste.)  I'll use these in pie, cakes, muffins, crisps, over ice cream or poundcake, or served in a small dish for a side or dessert.    Nice to have local fruit mid-Winter!

We enjoyed a small dish of these for breakfast--
warmed with a sprinkling of cinnamon--yum!

Here's how I make them (8 pints):  For 4 doz medium apples, I prepare the following syrup:  2 cups of sugar dissolved in 8 cups water. (or you may use 9 cups of just water instead.)  Set aside.  For the apples, I use a mix of both sweet and tart varieties.  Peel and core the apples, cut them into 1/2" slices.  (I don't fuss with anti-darkening solutions.)  In a pot on stove, combine apples and syrup.  Boil five minutes, stirring occasionally.  Put hot apples and syrup into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.  (I use a slotted spoon and first fill the jars 3/4 full with apple slices, then add the syrup.)  Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.  Add lids and screw bands.  Process in a boiling water bath (pints or quarts) 20 minutes.
End NoteI had about two cups of apple syrup left over.  I'll either cook it down to thicken it for pancake syrup or freeze it for Norwegian fruit soup this Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment