A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, September 19, 2011

Stewed Tomatoes

This is one of my favorite side dishes to complement a Winter supper. 
I serve it with homemade croutons to soak up the juice--mmmm!

I love my canning recipe; here it is for making 18 pints, (but it can easily be halved for 9 pints):
50 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup diced celery
2/3 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced bell pepper
2 cups diced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup sugar
**Optional:  I add 2 cups of broth (any kind) so I have extra juice for the croutons to soak up.  This year I used one cup each of corn broth and  mushroom broth with delicious results.
Can in pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment