A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, September 5, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

With tomatoes of all varieties in abundance, I need to get busy.  Tomatoes provide my family with: catsup, chili sauce, salsas, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, tomato juice, dried tomatoes, frozen tomatoes...  With tomatoes, tomato juice, salsa and chili sauce canned, I decided to tackle spaghetti sauce this weekend.  Dave picked our garden clean which yielded the tomatoes, peppers and onions (shallots).  He stopped at the store for mushrooms and I had all I needed for the sauce.  The recipe I use is straight out of the canning books (seems they all have the same one).  Though they all propose "saucing" the tomatoes after cooking them, I dice them instead because I like the tomato chunks in my sauce.  I also remove much of the thin juice (and can it) instead of cooking it down because I think the veggies and mushrooms are more flavorful that way.
Check spaghetti sauce off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment