A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Friday, September 30, 2011

A Peck of Pickled Peppers

I have plenty of hot peppers in the freezer, and after cleaning the garden, I still have quite a few that I don't want to go to waste.  Looking for an easy and different way to preserve them, I decided to pickle them in the same manner as refrigerator pickles.  I combined 2 cups of vinegar, 2 cups of sugar, 1 TB salt for the brine.  I washed and cut slits in the peppers, put them in quart jars and added the brine.  I added one tablespoon of mustard seeds to two of the jars.
 Now I wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment