A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ketchup, BBQ Sauce and Steak Sauce

Armed with 30 pounds of paste tomatoes (plum and romas), I was ready to do some saucing.  I made 6 pints of ketchup, 12 half-pints each of steak sauce and BBQ sauce.  And I still had plenty of tomatoes left to freeze.
For all three recipes, I started with Mrs. Wages powdered Ketchup mix.  Using her mix is the closest I've come to Heinz's Ketchup.  For the Ketchup, I followed the recipe on the back of the package.  For the BBQ sauce, I started with the Ketchup as a base; then added some garlic, onion, molasses, brown sugar, cider vinegar, cayenne and liquid smoke.  For the steak sauce I added worcestershire sauce, and a little dijon mustard.  Didn't have any specific recipes, just tried and tasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment