A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, June 19, 2011

That's soap--not soup

A little diversion from the food theme--but still local and sustainably-oriented.
Learning to make my own soap has been on my want-to-do list for a long time. A week ago, I finally got that opportunity. I spent a morning at the charming rural homestead of Cathy Riley learning to make soap from natural products. Cathy makes soaps and lip balm and sells them at Eyota's farmers market. It was a hands-on experience with much guidance, instruction, fellowship and fun. By the time the soap was poured into the mold, Cathy's expertise and attention to detail convinced me I was fortunately learning from a skilled soapmaker.
Admittedly, I have a collection (somewhere?) of homemade soap gifts I haven't tried. I decided to try the soaps Cathy sent home with me. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! I immediately noticed the difference--much more skin conditioning, more lather and also worked awsome as a shampoo!! One shower with homemade natural soap and I will never go back to commercial soaps again. The same goes for handwashing--it's sooo soft and has a wonderful fragrance. Dove can't compare!
And the lip balm--no comparison there either. Non-greasy, soft and moist.
The soap we made -- that is, I picked one of the colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment