A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good Honey

Decided to get serious about eliminating refined sugar from my diet and replace it with honey.  Much has been written by researchers, doctors and nutritionists about the adverse health effects of sugar.  I found a good book for preserving with honey instead of sugar:  Putting It Up with Honey by Susan Geiskopf.

I've now tasted delicious honey from three different farmers at local markets.  One finger dip of any of these pure honey products transports me back to my youth, when I had it from my grandpa's colony.  It's delicious!  Seems just the right thick-syrup consistency too.  Also got a tip from Farmer Paul Uecker--if you take honey that has turned to small crystals and whip it with some fresh honey; you'll get a creamy, soft, white honey spread.

Uses for honey:
Drizzle it over cheese, yogurt nuts, fruit, cereal, fresh bread, waffles.
Mix a little in a homemade vinaigrette (wine vinegar and olive oil).

How to substitute honey for sugar in baking:
Substitute honey for up to half the sugar, using 1 part honey for every 1-1/4 parts sugar.  Reduce the liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey.  Add 1/2 tsp baking soda for each cup of honey to counter its acidity and weight.  Lower oven temp by 25 degrees to prevent excessive browning.

Healthy Honey!
I read that consuming local honey reduces your likelihood of getting asthma and allergies. As the bees travel throughout the local fields, they pick up trace amounts of pollen from local flowers and weeds. As you consume their honey, you ingest those trace amounts of local pollen which builds your immunity against them.
Did a little research on the internet:  Raw honey (with its pollen) contains the following: all of the essential amino acids, all of the vitamin group, many minerals, hormones and fatty acids, enzymes with detoxifying effects and it aids in digestion.  Sure sounds healthy to me!

Paul Uecker and daughter, Angelica, selling honey at farmers market in Plainview.
Their honey comes complete with a honey comb inside the jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment