A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pesto

With fresh spinach already at markets, I thought I'd better post my recipe(s) for both spinach and basil pestos.  Pesto is a must for my larder.  I make enough to freeze--it freezes well--and I always have an appetiser on hand for guests.  (Towards Fall, I'll have a post on making crackers to serve with it.)

Frozen Pesto

Here are my two favorite pesto recipes--one with spinach, one with basil.
Note:  Pesto should be ground just until nuts are broken up and leaves are small pieces.  It should not be pulverized until baby-food consistency.

Spinach Pesto        2 cups  (good with veggies or pita chips)
1/4 bunch fresh spinach (about 2 cups packed)
2 TB fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
1/4 cup cottage cheese (small curd)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (similar cheese may be substituted)
12 pine nuts (approx to get 2 TB ground)
1 large clove garlic
1 TB olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
sea salt to taste
pinch white pepper
-Put all in food processor and grind to desired consistency

Basil Pesto
2 large cloves garlic
3 cups firmly-packed basil leaves--approx 30 stalks (6 farm market bunches)
3 TB grated parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
-Put all but pine nuts in blender or food processor and grind for 10 seconds.  Add pine nuts and grind for 8-10 seconds longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment