A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Supper Salads

Spinach, Pheasant, Strawberry, Leek Salad
with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing

Farmers' Markets are bursting with greens--all colors, shapes and varieties.  It's a wonderful time for supper-size salads--easy, low-fat meals requiring little or no cooking.  I buy several varieties of greens and any other fresh veggie or fruit available for ingredients.  It's a great way to use leftover roast or fowl and a good way to stretch those food dollars.  I've been using my canned meats, with the jar broths serving as a dressing base.  I've also been using the last of canned and frozen fruits and veggies up. 

Making your own dressing is creative fun and gives unique flavors to your salad creations.  Dressing bases can include: olive or coconut oil, yoghurt, broth, fruit syrups from jars of previously-canned fruit (I always save and freeze the jar juices upon opening my canned fruit).  Additives can include: vinegar, honey, mustard, horseradish, pureed fruit, liquid from frozen fruit (when I am using that fruit in the salad), tamari or soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, jams or jellies (i.e. tomato or pepper jelly), pickle juice, hot sauce, herbs, tomato sauces, salsas, relishes...

Here are three delicious salad combos we've had over the past week:
(1) Romaine, chicken breast pieces, leeks, drained corn relish & dried cherry tomatoes with a creamy-Italian-style dressing (yoghurt with garlic, corn relish juice, Italian herbs)
(2) Red- and green-leaf lettuce with canned beef, canned marinated cherry tomatoes, leeks, radishes and green garlic.  Dressing: beef broth, ginger, tamari sauce, pepper jelly, dill weed
(3) Spinach leaf, pieced pheasant, leeks, strawberries, sunflower seeds.  Dressing:  strawberry poppy seed dressing made with yoghurt, mashed strawberries with juice, honey, white wine vinegar, poppy seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment