A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Saturday, June 11, 2011

Summer Veggie Soup

We're having a spate of chilly, rainy weather--perfect for Summer veggie soup.  This gives me an opportunity to clean out the freezer, canning pantry and dry foods cupboard of whatever's left from last year's preserving.  I also clean out the fridge, using whatever veggies I need to use up before they wilt.  I take a big pot and start with any frozen or canned veggie broths from the past year.  Then the fun begins--emptying jars, freezer packages and the crisper of whatever veggies and herbs I can find without using too much of any one kind.  I include the juice from the jars of canned veggies and add water to the pot only if I need more liquid.  I avoid using potatoes or root veggies and include some of the fresh greens and early summer veggies from the fridge--distinguishing it from my Winter veggie soup full of potatoes and root veggies.  This makes a light summer soup with no fat and needing little salt.  Let it slowly simmer a little while, serve with a round of homemade crusty bread and it's the perfect "chilly-summer-day meal".
What's in the soup?
carrots, celery, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, a chili pepper, asparagus, chard, onion, garlic greens, zuccini, beets, squash, cabbage, green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment