A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New!! Perpetual Spinach

Another new produce variety from Easy Yoke Farm (Dan and Hanna Miller).  Looked kind of like kale or chard, but no, it was a new variety of spinach--perpetual spinach.  A quick browse on the web and I had an idea of how I wanted to fix it--braised spinach with a poached egg on top.  Using local spinach guaranteed it would be fresh and flavorful.  It was so much more--it was mouthwatering! and simple.   This will definately be a regular on our summer menu.  Thanks Hanna and Dan for a new, healthy treat!
  Here's the dish and the recipe--
Spinach never tasted so good!
Perpetual Spinach
8-10 stalks of spinach per person (it shrinks)
fat, butter or oil  (bacon fat is best, butter is my second choice)
small amount of broth or boullion  (<1/4" high in pan bottom)
salt and pepper to taste
poached egg
--put enough fat or oil in pan to coat bottom and heat to light sizzle.  Dice spinach stalk and chop leaves in narrow strips.  Add to pan and cook a few minutes over medium heat until pan bottom is getting dry.  Add small amount broth or boullion (I used juice from my home-canned mushrooms) so liquid is less  than 1/4" in pan bottom.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper (little or no salt if you're using boullion).  Turn heat to med-low, put cover on pan and let cook 15 to 20 min.  Make sure liquid doesn't evaporate--just add a bit more if it does.  Meanwhile, poach (or fry) egg(s).  Arrange spinach on plate and top with the egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment