A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Banana Chips

Whenever you see those grocery carts with bags of bananas that are starting to turn dark, grab them!  They're usually less than .50/pound--sometimes free.  Just don't get the black ones, they're too soft.  Anyways, get out your food slicer, slice them 1/4" or less and throw them on your dehydrator trays.  Dehydrate at 135 degrees for 6-12 hours.  They should be caramelly colored and a bit chewy.  It's okay that they're not real dry because the natural sugar in them will preserve them.  I like to dry them until they start getting a little crispy.  
The banana chips you buy at stores and co-ops don't even come close to home-dried banana chips in flavor and texture.  These actually taste like bananas, only much sweeter.  They great in or on cereals and yoghurt, or even for snacking.  You can also cut them up for breads or muffins.  They keep forever too.  Once I have a supply of these on hand, I rarely run to the store for fresh bananas--these are just too good and they don't turn soft!
For the banana lover in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment