A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Salsa Relish (and V-8 Juice as a bonus!)

After picking my garden clean this weekend, I realized I had an abundance of medium-small tomatoes, small bell peppers and jalepenos--more than I would use before they got soft on me.  I decided to make the recipe for fresh salsa (see 8-26 post) and can it.  I used the same canning process listed for canning salsa (same post).  After cooking it up, I ladled it into half-pint jars with a slotted spoon so I had very little juice--kind of like a salsa relish. 
Us salsa lovers will now have two varieties to choose from.

I had quite a bit of juice left as a result, so I canned it as well.  I used half-pint jars for the juice and processed it for the same time as the salsa (15 min.)  The jars of juice were barely out of the canner when I got an idea of how I could use it.  I put a quart jar of my regular tomato juice in a pitcher and then added the half-pint of salsa juice.  (tasting it)-----delicious!!  The best V-8 style of juice I've ever tasted.) 
If only I didn't have to make salsa to get this juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment