A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grandma's Goulash--A Favorite Stovetop Casserole

Whenever visiting Grandma Springer and she asked us kids what we wanted for lunch or supper, the answer was always the same:  an enthusiastic "your goulash!!"  To which she would often sigh and reply:  "Is that all you ever eat?"  If she sent us home with leftovers, there would be a mad scramble for the fridge the next day.  I remember eating it cold for breakfast and still loving it.  After much experimenting, I finally reconstructed the goulash I remembered as a child (Grandma always claimed she didn't have a recipe--just "a little of this and that".) The meal is a family favorite today, and was a popular dish at our restaurant.  This is one of the few exceptions I make for using commercially-canned products, but this is how Grandma's goulash tasted (and I do remember the can of Campbells sitting on her counter alongside her canned tomatoes).
Grandma's Goulash
2 cups dry ready cut spaghetti or macaroni
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup diced onion
1 28oz can Hunts diced tomatoes
1 can Campbells tomato soup
2 Tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
--Brown ground beef with onion.  Drain and add tomatoes, tomato soup and sugar.  Heat through.  Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in salted water to el dente stage (just barely done--about 6-7 min).  Drain, but do not rinse.  Combine all and serve.

Grandma would be smiling to know that three generations later,
 children are still asking for "Grandma's Goulash".

No comments:

Post a Comment