A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Famous Tomato Soup Recipe

I say "famous" tomato soup recipe because it was by far the most ordered lunch item on the menu at our cafe, Rebekahs.  The cafe closed in 2004, but to this day not a month goes by that I don't get a comment or recipe request for the tomato soup we served.  I couldn't do a post on tomatoes without offering the tomato soup recipe, so here it is:
Rebekah's Cream of Tomato Soup
1 quart jar of crushed or diced tomatoes, or one 28oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1/4 cup butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup chicken broth with 1 tsp. or cube of chicken base or bouillon added 
1/8 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream 
--Combine all but cream in pan on stove.  Bring to boil and simmer 15+ min.  Add heavy whipping cream and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment