A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, August 11, 2011

More Green Beans

Cut and froze another pound of green beans today.  Note to myself:  1# green beans made four 2-serving bags.  I also made green bean broth by putting the cut-off tips into the blanching water and cooking it down.  I was disappointed when I saw that I only ended up with 2 cups of broth, wondering if it was worth it.  But then I thought about how I could use it in mushroom or wild-rice soup, or instead of water to make wild rice with mushrooms.  If only for a couple of recipes, the improved flavor would be worth it.

 Pairing green bean broth with mushrooms evokes the flavor of green bean & mushroom soup casserole--without the calories or processed food.

No comments:

Post a Comment