A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Apple Broth?

Yup, that's what I made.  Looking at the large bowl of apple peelings and cores after canning sliced apples, I started thinking how nice it might be to add unsweetened apple "broth" to the crockpot when cooking a ham or pork roast, or to use it instead of water for making wild rice.  Easy decision--into a pot they went, covered with 3-4 inches of water, then cooked down to about half.  I'll freeze it in one cup packages and try it out this Winter.  Sometimes it's the little differences that can change a familiar and ordinary dish into something new and mouthwatering!
Mmmm--nice and dark--I can't wait to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment