A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Varieties of Naturally-Sweet Veggies

Easy Yoke Farm has new varieties of tomatoes and peppers to offer.  The tomatoes, Green Zebra, are my new, favorite snacking tomato.  Boy are they sweet!  The long, red peppers, Jimmy Nordello, are also a sweet variety--sweeter than bells or hot peppers.  They're awsome in stir fry dishes.
If you haven't tried them, these are both worth a taste.  I'm sold!

And speaking of sweet, Fairview Farm also has a fantastic cherry tomato to try.  They're light orange in color and called Sungold.  They are the sweetest and most flavorful of the cherry tomato varieties.   Also worth a try!
A small bowl like this disappears fast at our house!
 
Note:  Easy Yoke Farm and Fairview Farm have stands at both Plainview's and Rochester's farmers markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment