A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hash from Leftovers

A tasty way to use up leftover potatoes, corn, carrots and other cooked veggies:  hash.  Whenever I make a one-pot meal (see previous post); I save a little of the meat and grab the leftover veggies for hash.  The basic hash can be made with cooked potatoes, cooked corn, cooked carrots and a little cooked meat.  Any other leftover cooked veggies adds to the flavor.  I use all the veggies from my one-pot meals and it's delicious!  Fork-mash the cooked veggies (not too mushed up), cut the corn off the cob and dice the meat and any other cooked veggies which do not mash (onions, celery, cabbage).  Melt a hunk of butter or bacon fat in a large fry pan, add all of the veggies/meat and heat through.  If it's a little on the dry side, I add some of my pan drippings saved from a previous roast (a little broth or boullion would work too).  Our favorite way(s) to have hash is with a poached egg on top for breakfast or sprinkled with cheese and put under the broiler until the cheese melts for lunch.
Mmmm--No wonder old-timers have fond memories of this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment