A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, October 6, 2011

Riding Shotgun on the Combine

I've never climbed into anything higher than a Dodge Ram Pick-up!

Another day at my farm job and another new experience--I was offered to ride along in the combine for a few swipes around the soybean field.  Looking up at the massive piece of farm machinery, and my farmer, Mark Timm, dwarfed in the driver's seat, I was eager for this new "joy ride"!  I didn't hesitate to climb (way) up and hop in the passenger seat.  At first I was mesmerized as I watched several different machinery parts simultaneously "shake, rattle and roll" while we maneuvered across six rows of beans at a time.  After a bit I settled into the rhythm of the combining and was able to enjoy the way-far and way-wide views of color-turning foliage spread across bluffs, valleys and fields.  (I soon understood that Mark was too busy monitoring the machine and combining process for me to continually point out the spectacular views.)  This adventure took place late afternoon on a warm Fall day---ahhh, pure enjoyment!  Thanks Farmer Mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment