A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pork Broth (and gravy recipe)

We had roast pork this week and I always save the bone, fat and any leftover meat scraps for making broth.  I put the bone(s) and scraps in a saucepan, add water 3-4 inches above the top of the bones and cook down on low simmer until bones are showing above the water (2-4 hours).   (I sometimes toss in celery, onion and carrot for more flavor.)  Strain broth, cool and refrigerate until fat can be lifted off top.  Then freeze or can it.  If I freeze it, I package it in one- or two-cup portions in ziploc freezer bags.  To can it; pressure can it at 10 pounds of pressure for 20 min.   I use broth for marinades, dressings, gravies, soups and stews.  I cook pasta and rice in it for great flavor.  .  If I am making broth from game meat or fowl, I toss 4-6 juniper berries in the broth as it's cooking to eliminate any gamey taste.
mmm--Hot Pork & Gravy Sandwiches Await!
Pork Gravy  (makes 3 cups gravy)
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sage
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch nutmeg
3 cups pork broth
--In saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour, salt, thyme, sage, pepper and nutmeg.  Whisk in pork broth all at once.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment