A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Little More Salsa

Though I have already made plenty of salsa, I discovered an unopened package of Ball's salsa mix in the back of my canning drawer.  I've never used Ball's packaged mix for my salsas, but the package expires at the beginning of next year.  It only makes four half-pints and I do have enough ripe tomatoes ; so why not try it.  I'll either discover a new and delicious salsa recipe, or I'll remind myself never to use that mix again.  It turned out pretty good.  I prefer salsa with chunks of onion and peppers, but this will definately do in a pinch.  All you need to do is cut up 8-10 medium-size tomatoes, add a little vinegar and the mix.  Boil for 5 min and can or serve fresh. 
A package of this would nice to have on hand for a potluck appetiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment