A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Granola

Several years ago, a friend (Judy Schultz) gave me a granola recipe saying I "must try it".  The recipe was definately a keeper and I've used it ever since to make double and triple batches of granola for breakfast cereal.  I usually make this in the Fall as the oven is going much of the day.  Knowing I will be making granola, I always dehydrate fruit during the summer and save them for this purpose (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, peaches and grapes).  I substitute refined coconut oil for the granola oil (your choice); but I prefer coconut oil for it's nutty flavor and because it is the healthiest of all oils. (google it)  Granola keeps well in the freezer, packaged in gal. ziploc bags.  To serve it warm, boil twice the amount of milk as cereal, add the cereal, lower heat to simmer and continue cooking to desired consistency.
Breakfast in a dish--grains, nuts, fruit, bananas and dairy.
Homemade Granola
1 cup shredded coconut
8 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups chopped, slivered or sliced almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
2/3 cup coconut oil or canola oil
1-1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 cup raisins (golden, dark or mix of the two) or 1-1/2 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup banana chips, broken into pieces (optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)  I add this later, if desired.
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (optional)  I add this later, if desired.
--Preheat oven to 350.  Spread coconut on pan and toast 5 min--until starting to brown on top--watch closely, it will burn easily.  Set coconut aside to cool.  Reduce oven to 300.  Line baking pans with parchment or foil.  Combine all but coconut and raisins.  Spread in single layer on pans.  Bake approx. 25 min until golden.  Remove from pans immediately if using foil.  Cool and break apart.  Add coconut, banana chips and raisins or fruit.  Store in airtight container for up to one month or freeze for up to six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment