A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hot Tomato Jelly

I love tomatoes (& sugar), so I'm sure I'll find many uses for this jelly.

"Love Apple jelly" is what this is referred to in my canning book.  No wonder I couldn't find a recipe for tomato jelly--I'm not old enough to remember that tomatoes used to be called "Love Apples".  Apparently tomatoes were once thought to have aphrodisiac powers. 
The recipe below is quick and easy.    One of the ways I plan to use it is to spread atop my homemade Mozarella or cream cheese as an appetiser. 
Hot Tomato Jelly (makes 8 half-pints)
10 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
4-6 small chili peppers, diced
1 packet pectin (liquid or powder)
--Put chopped tomatoes in saucepan with water and chili peppers.  Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer until tomatoes are soft (approx 20 min).  Remove from heat and place all in a jellybag or a strainer lined with cheesecloth and let drip into a pan for several hours.  You should have about 4 cups of juice.  Whisk one packet of pectin into the juice.  Return to heat and bring to boil.  Add sugar all at once.  Bring to boiling stirring frequently.  Boil and stir for 1-2 min.  Fill hot jelly jars to within 1/2 inch from top.  Add lids and screw bands.  Process in boiling water bath 15 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment