A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, October 2, 2011

Raspberry Sauce

The raspberries from Firefly Berry Farm were so sweet and juicy (chemical-free too!) we ate most of them with few left over for the sauce I had planned on canning.  Plan B--After a raid on my sister Deb's raspberry patch, we had enough additional berries for eating and for making sauce.  Mixing three  different varieties, I made and canned sauce following this easy process:  Sauce the berries in a food strainer or Foley-type mill.  Heat the sauce to boiling.  Ladle into hot jelly jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
My sister Judy once treated me to a rich chocolate brownie with unsweetened raspberry sauce drizzled atop. The combination of the sweet chocolate and semi-tart sauce was heavenly!
Now, if I can just wrangle that brownie recipe outta my sister Judy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment