A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, January 16, 2012

Whey--The Valuable By-product of Cheesemaking

After making any kind of cheese, I end up with lots of whey--up to a gallon of it.  It's valuable stuff!  Whey has a lot of minerals. It keeps your muscles young, joints movable and ligaments elastic (a natural anti-aging tonic for us boomers). It can aid digestion (1 TB in a little water). It can treat stomach ailments (1 TB three times daily.) It tastes like (very) watered-down milk. It keeps for up to 6 months. I use it for all kinds of things: breadmaking (substitute for milk or water), cooking rice, in smoothies or breakfast drinks, as a tonic.

Following is a standard whey drink--a healthy way to start your day.
Whey Drink
1/2 cup whey
1/2 cup filtered water
juice of one lemon
--Mix all together and drink soon after.  Don't store, it will lose its potency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment