A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Homemade Mustard

With both yellow and brown mustard seeds from Penzy's, I'm ready to make and can homemade mustard, something I've always wanted to try.  After some research for recipes, I chose a "Country Mustard" for the yellow seeds and "Oktoberfest Beer Mustard" for the brown seeds.   Both of these recipes can be easily canned by heating until thickened, ladeling into hot jars and water-bath canning for 10 minutes.  However, heating the mustard will produce a spicey-hot mustard, similar to horseradish mustard (We like the "heat").  If you are planning to can your mustard, be sure not to use recipes that include egg yolks, like many mustard recipes do.  Also note:  If you taste the mustard(s) soon after making them, they will taste quite bitter.  If you wait a few days to taste them, the bitterness will have dissipated and the taste will have dramatically improved.
Ready for the bratwurst!

Country Mustard
3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup mustard powder
1/2 cup vinegar (cider, wine or white)
1 cup white wine or water
4 teaspoons salt
--Grind mustard seeds in coffee grinder or with mortar and pestle.  You do not need to grind them fine as you want a little texture to your mustard.  After grinding them, put all ingredients together in a glass jar.  Store in refrigerator.  Wait a day to taste.  It will last a few months.  Makes 2 cups

Octoberfest Beer Mustard
1-1/2 cups dark beer (good beer=good mustard)
1 cup brown mustard seeds
1 cup water
1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dry mustard
1 Tablespoon onion powder
--Bring beer and brown mustard seeds to boil over med-high heat.  Remove from heat, cover and let sit at least 2 hours (until seeds have absorbed most of the moisture).  Combine with rest of ingredients and mix well.  Put in jar in refrigerator for at least a day or two before using.  Makes 2-1/2 cups.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the recipes and tips. I would like to make my own mustard (for myself and as gifts) and have been looking for a good recipe and advice about preserving it for later/gifts.
    I was wondering - the recipe says to store in the fridge. I would like to can the mustard I make. Normally when canning the recipe says to seal the jars in the water bath canner while still hot. Is it the same for these recipes? I'm still fairly new to canning/preserving so any tips/advice on how to preserve mustard would be appreciated.
    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete