A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, January 22, 2012

Seafood Chowder

When fridays roll around, I often get a hankering for seafood (and I'm not even Catholic).  I love all kinds of seafood prepared in any manner, but creamy seafood chowders taste so good and warm during Winter months.  Following is my recipe for a seafood chowder that was a huge hit with restaurant patrons.
The seafood sunk to the bottom but there's lots in there--promise!

Seafood Chowder
3 cups of seafood, any variety or combination thereof.
  (I usually include a can of clams with juice)
1 cup cubed red potatoes  
1 Tablespoon butter or bacon fat (best flavor)
1/4 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1 Tablespoon flour
2-1/2 cups chicken boullion
1 Tablespoon clam or seafood base - dissolved in chix broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups Half and Half
--Boil red potatoes (skin on or peeled) just until starting to soften.  Set aside.  In large saucepan, cook onion, celery, garlic and herbs (parsley, thyme, dill weed) in melted butter or bacon fat until starting to soften.  Add flour and stir to paste.  Slowly add broth with base, stirring, until creamy.  Add wine, Half and Half and sugar, stirring until incorporated.  Add potatoes and seafood.  Heat to simmer and let slowly simmer 15-20 min.  Serve with a few drops of tobasco sauce or hot pepper flakes, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I just froze the sweet corn, and now I am simmering the corn cobs,and I am lost as to what to do next. do I add any thing to the stock pot? I am a recent widower and very limited in the kitchen, hence these questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got through making corn broth myself--Answer: Nothing to add other than lots of corn cobs. Let it cook down to half, until the stock is a golden yellow-brownish. I let mine go until the color is pretty brown. You have less, but it is richer. This is one of my favorite stocks; it's wonderful for cooking rice or adding to soups. Taste it when it's done and cool (strain first to get corn silk and bits of kernel out). It's got a sweet, roasted flavor. Glad to see ou are doing this. (PS: I'm not sure why this comment appears under the Seafood Chowder post. I assume you're talking about freezing sweet corn and making corn broth with the cobs.) Diane Lutzke

      Delete