A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Saturday, May 21, 2011

Making Pasta

 
I really need a drying rack

  There's nothing as good as a warm pasta dish made with homemade pasta. The ingredients are few so you can always have them on hand to make any variety of pasta.  I often experiment with different shapes and flavors, and they're always a rewarding surprise to my tastebuds.  An easy, no-fail, standard recipe is as follows:

My Pasta
1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup semolina flour, 1/2 cup water (or any liquid)
knead for ten minutes
let rest for 20 minutes, covered with plastic wrap
put through pasta machine as per instruction
dry for 1+ hour
cook in boiling, salted water for 3 min.

This recipe makes 4 servings; or 2 very-generous servings, with a little left over. 


You can switch out the water for vegetable broth or boullion.  I save and freeze the juice from my jars of canned veggies, or the juice left over in the food processor after dicing tomatoes or green peppers just for this purpose.  Potato water is especially good.
making pasta with daughter Abby
 


The pasta roller I would recommend is the Atlas.  It's easy to use, has good instructions and has several options for width and thickness of noodle.  I also use it for making uniquely-long breadstix. 

I'll be posting some of my favorite pasta sauces, salads and dishes in my recipe file soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment