A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Getting Ready For a New Growing Season

I like to start with an empty freezer for a new preserving season.  Nothing goes to waste and I can keep track of how much meat and produce we use in a  years' time.  Meats are canned which extends their quality for another year (see previous post on Canning Beef).  Veggies are dehydrated and can be stored for 2-5 years.  Since veggies were blanched before freezing, they can be tossed on the dehydrator with no other processing necessary.  These foods now provide quick summer suppers without cooking, roasting or baking; and are easy to grab for a picnic or camping. 
from  freezer to jars

No comments:

Post a Comment