A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Celery Made Me Do It

Normally, I only buy veggies from farmers and farmer's markets, year-round.  If I run out, or don't have it put up, I go without until the following year.  This year, celery crops were scant and scarce and my frozen supply is almost depleted.  Then I spotted the HyVee ad for celery on sale at such a low price I couldn't resist.  I broke my own rule and stocked up--guilty, but rewarded.  Here is what I did with six bunches of celery. (before freezing)
From left to right:
Wide ends, skinny stalks and leaves.  These are for celery broth: 
Put in large pot, cover with enough water to double volume in pot and cook down to approx. half.  Simmer until it has a strong celery flavor.  Freeze in ice cube trays and one-cup portions for soups, stews, meat broth, rice, gravies...
Sauteed Chopped Celery:  Ready to go atop or stuffed in meats/poultry.
Celery Chunks:  For soups, stews, roasts and pressure cooking.
Chopped Celery:  Stir fries, meat loaf, stuffings, winter salads...

Note:  Celery needs no processing before freezing.  Just be sure it is fully dry after washing it.  Just package and freeze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment