A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ice Cream 101

Thanksgiving morning took an unusual twist this year.  I was invited to
observe homemade ice cream being made in an electric ice cream maker.  Since I wasn't hosting any Thanksgiving dinner this year, I was eager to learn.  My own ice cream maker has been shelved since we received it for a wedding gift--18 years ago!!  I have been telling myself for that long that "one of these days..."  Now, with hands-on experience, I would have no excuse.  I rode my bike over to Mark Larsons where Mark and his girlfriend Mary had the ice cream churning.  A sampling of the finished product and I knew I would be making my own soon.  I swear it was the most delicious ice cream I've had (and I usually buy the best).  Mark was kind enough to share his blue ribbon recipe, below.  And, below that, are my own blue ribbon chocolate and caramel sauces for sundaes.
  Mmmm, my two favorites!

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 gal. whole milk, approx.
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla (Mark says: "Don't bother with fake.")
12 oz. evaporated milk
1 pint heavy cream
-Combine eggs, 3 cups of the milk and the sugar in a heavy saucepan.  Cook over low heat until it thickens.  Cool. (This is the custard.)  You may refrigerate at this point if you want to do later or the next day.
Mix together custard, salt, vanilla, evaporated milk and cream.  Pour into ice cream freezer.  Top to fill line with milk.  Freeze. 
Note:  Mark uses regular or canning salt for freezing; says rock salt is dirty.

Excellent Chocolate Sauce
1/2 cup butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 cup evaporated milk or 1 cup Half 'nHalf
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
-Melt butter and chocolate.  Add rest.  Boil 1-1/2 minute.  Can serve warm or cooled.  Stores well in refrigerator or freezer.

Best Caramel Sauce
1 cup butter
2-1/2 cups brown sugar
pinch salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
-Melt butter.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cook on stove to soft ball stage; or put in microwave on high and cook in two-minute intervals, stirring in between.  Cook to soft ball stage.  Stores well in refrigerator or freezer.





1 comment:

  1. Great stuff here! I am even more anxious to learn new things now!!!

    ReplyDelete