A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, December 5, 2011

Golden Harvest Soup

During the Fall and up through Thanksgiving, I decorate with baskets of Indian corn, squash and pumpkins.  That always leaves me with plenty of squash and pumpkin going into the Winter, so Golden Harvest Soup is always one of the first Winter soups we enjoy.  It combines squash, pumpkin and potatoes for a rich and creamy lunch soup or side soup for supper.  The recipe follows the picture.
This was a favorite at my coffeehouse restaurant.

Golden Harvest Soup       Serves 4-6
1 cup cooked squash
1/2 cup cooked pumpkin
1 cup cooked sweet potato or yams
1 large potato, boiled to soft
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup chicken broth with 1 chicken bouillon cube
2 cups Half and Half (add slowly to desired consistency)
--Puree squash, pumpkins, yams and potatoes with chicken broth in blender until smooth. Return to pan and add butter, brown sugar and nutmeg. Turn heat to medium low and slowly add Half and Half, stirring. Heat until soup begins to simmer; do not let it boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment