A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, December 26, 2011

A Follow-up--Christmas Dinner Gone Awry

My Christmas dinner plans took an unusual twist--the guests prepared their own dinner!  Here's what happened:
Just after getting the turkey stuffed and into the roaster, I noticed my slight headache was getting worse.  With a quick scan of the medicine cabinet, I realized I was out of Anacin, my trusty pain reliever.  Anxious to get back to cooking, I grabbed the Ibuprofen and popped one in my mouth--BIG MISTAKE!!!  I wasn't thinking--anti-inflammatory drugs make me sick.  Sure enough, a short time later my head was throbbing and my stomach wretching.  I meekly called out to Dave, telling him "You're on your own" and I crawled into bed.  I kept hoping for sleep but my anxiety level was too high.  Dave is a fish out of water in the kitchen.  I was too sick to ask his plans:  go it alone, cancel dinner or worse, cancel Christmas?  What seemed like hours later, I smelled the turkey roasting as I heard the guests arriving.  I envisioned shocked guests and a kitchen in crisis, but I was helpless.  Then I heard my daughter, Abby, take charge.  Abby is a chef and catering manager.  Moments later I was in deep slumber.  I awoke as I heard them sitting down to their dinner--small chatter and quiet chuckling.  I sat up smiling-- relieved, refreshed and feeling much better.  Then I had an idea--I quietly stole into the kitchen and threw together a blueberry pie.  After putting it in the oven, I joined them at the table for a small plate of food.  Dinner was followed by exchanging small, homemade gifts and then a hilariously-funny game of Pictionary.  We closed the evening with warm blueberry pie and small talk.  Disaster was avoided and Christmas Day ended on a peaceful note.  Amen!

1 comment:

  1. I feel bad that your Christmas started out on the wrong note. I am glad it came together in the end and you all had a good time. Abby is a great cook, you are lucky. Take care and enjoy your oyster stew, not my favorite. We are having shrimp cocktails. We will also have a quiet New Year, enjoy yours.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete