A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's Poppin'--My favorite popcorn and popcorn ball recipe

Once I discovered that popcorn is actually good for you, it became my favorite snacking food.  Popcorn is a nutricious, whole grain; high in antioxidants, most notably, polyphenols – a group of natural plant chemicals that have a variety of health benefits.  As a whole grain, it is the source of most of the vitamins and minerals.  Three cups of popcorn equates to one serving of a whole grain food. Popcorn is also low in calories and a good source of fiber which is helpful for weight control.  (Admittedly, I add the butter.)

My favorite brand?  I regularly buy my popcorn from Fairview Farms (Mark & Laurie Timm & Family).  They have three varieties of all-natural popcorn.  The fresh and flavorful taste of their popcorn is the best I've had; yes, even better than Orville's (and every kernel pops too).  I buy all three varieties and mix them.
 
I'll also include my favorite recipe for popcorn balls.  These are by far the best-tasting popcorn balls I've tried.  I've tried many and none compare.  It's an old, cherished family recipe.
Popcorn Balls
Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup white sugar
--Cook on stove over med-high heat to soft-ball stage; or as follows in large casserole dish in microwave: med. setting for 5 min, stir; then on med-high for 2-1/2 min.
Popcorn:  Pop up 1 rounded cup of kernels
Assembly:  Pour sauce over popped corn and stir.  Working FAST, form balls wearing rubber gloves coated with butter.

All this talk of popcorn makes me hungry for my favorite snack.  Off to the kitchen for a bowl of hot, buttered popcorn--mmmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment