A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Friday, September 30, 2011

Canned Pears

After tasting how sweet and juicy the pears from Fairview Farm were, we decided to forego the pear sauces and jams and can these for eating right out of the jar.  It took a long time to peel them, but we knew what we were looking forward to, so we didn't mind having so many to do.  After peeling and coring them, I brought halved pears to a boil in a pan of light syrup (5-1/4 cups water & 2-1/4 cups sugar); then ladled it into jars and processed them in a boiling water bath (20 min for pints, 25 min for quarts).
Glad we have plenty--these will start to disappear fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment