A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, September 25, 2011

Canned Carrots

Discovered a stash of mixed-colored carrots in the back of my crisper drawer this morning and, surprise!, they were still crisp. (Usually forgotten veggies are limp or spoiled by the time I discover them.)  Since I don't remember my intent for them, and I have several small bags of frozen carrot slices, I decided to can them.  They're easy to can:  put raw carrot slices or sticks in hot jars, add boiling water and pressure can at 10 pounds of pressure for 25 min.
They'll make a bright & colorful side dish mid-Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment