A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Monday, March 18, 2013

Sugar = BAAAAD STUFF!!

I've always been aware that sugar is bad, but my sweet tooth has kept me blissfully ignorant of just how bad refined sugar is for our bodies.  Here is a partial list of the diseases and conditions that medical journals blame on sugar: heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, hyperactivity, coffee and tobacco cravings, behavioral problems, violent tendencies, poor concentration, obesity, tooth decay, and more! 
Admittedly, many of my recipes on this blog include refined sugar.  For my part, I plan to relegate those recipes to the "special event's only" menu.  I will experiment by replacing the sugar in them with honey or maple syrup.  Not all recipes will work, but I'm looking forward to improved health and stamina without a daily dose of sugar lurking in my diet.
My replacements

No comments:

Post a Comment