A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Rommegrot

My Norwegian heritage makes this a traditional dessert for holidays.  It's actually a porridge and can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a first course for a hearty Winter meal.  It's always a treat prepared in any manner.
With butter and cinnamon sugar atop--
mmmm--so comforting!
 
Rommegrot
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup flour
Melt butter in large pan. Mix in flour and cook until bubbly. Stir constantly.

In another container heat 1 quart whole milk and 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2. Bring to a boil and gradually add to above mixture. Cook until thick. Add 3/4 cup sugar and cook and stir a bit longer.
 
Serve with sugar, cinnamon and butter
 
Hint:  Start the milk mixture first since that takes longer to come to a boil.

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog as it was mentioned in the Rochester area Community Ed class brochure.... Hope to see more posts. I have been to Rebekah's when you owned it --great foods!

    ReplyDelete