A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, May 3, 2012

Grandma Lutzke's Sausage and Cabbage Stew

I am fortunate to be enjoying weekly dinners with my in-laws; Paul and Gen Lutzke.  Father-in-law Paul prepares the main dish using unscripted family recipes passed down from his mother.  Gen prepares fresh sides and sweet desserts.  I am the "go-fer".  There is much variety in Paul's weekly fare;  there is much consistency in the warmth and comfort of our meals.
One of my particular favorites is his Sausage and Cabbage Stew.  Like most traditional Upper Midwest food; it is simple, yet mouthwatering.
Sausage & Cabbage Stew
1 pound kielbasa (or other) ring sausage, cut in bite-size pieces
1 small head cabbage
1 large onion, chopped
hunk of butter
2 quarts chicken broth
heavy pinch of ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste
--Fry onion, cabbage and sausage over med-low heat just until cabbage wilted and sausage heated through.  Combine with chicken broth, cloves, salt and pepper in a pot and warm slowly over low heat 1-2 hours. Serve with crusty, thick-sliced bread
Caught in the act!

No comments:

Post a Comment