A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Thursday, November 10, 2011

Freezing Brussel Sprouts

I always wait for a frost to occur before buying brussel sprouts to freeze.  They're much sweeter and more flavorful after a frost.  Freezing them is simple:  Wash and remove any soiled or soft outer leaves.  Cut off any long stem pieces to within a quarter inch.  Immerse 2 cups at a time in 2-3 quarts of boiling water for 3 minutes.  Lift from boiling water and immediately dump into pan of ice water to cool.  When cool, drain and pat dry.  Package in freezer bags or containers.  I put two servings each in sandwich bags, then put the filled sandwich bags into a larger (gallon) freezer ziploc bag.
If I want to put a smile on Dave's face,
I serve these for supper--it's his favorite veggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment