A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Sunday, November 27, 2011

Continuing a Family Tradition--Sunday Smorgasbord

While growing up, our Sunday "supper" consisted of hot and cold appetisers, deli meats, cheese and more--an assortment of family favorites, new creations, butcher-shop cold meat and artisan cheeses.  Some of my favorites come to mind:  Mom's chicken wings, braunschweiger and ring bologna from Tushners Meat Market in Winona, cheese from the Zumbrota Dairy, fudge!, sardines and/or herring.  In the Winter, we ate watching a Disney movie and Bonanza.  During the summer, we gathered in the back room at the River with the food spread across the bar.  With little conscious effort, I continue this tradition.  Sunday afternoons I find myself in the kitchen putting together "deli plates" of appetisers, cheese, meat and/or fish.  We enjoy these watching the ballgame or a movie.  Pictured below are a few of our "Sunday Suppers".  Good food and fond memories!
Summer-style:  Shrimp, crab spread, veggie dip, wontons
 Winter-fare:  warm venison sausage with hot mustard,
cheese, pickled herring and wine-braised mushrooms, candy

No comments:

Post a Comment