A documentation of my preservation and preparation of local foods as I work through the seasons. This will serve as a reference tool for me in the future and as a sharing guide for family and friends...and anyone else interested. Hopefully, I can offer some useful methods, tips and recipes to share with everyone--be they novice or pro--and encourage them to join me in the exciting world of preserving and cooking with local foods.



Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What to do with all those cherry tomatoes?

I have now found what I think is the most practical way to use an abundance of cherry tomatoes.  I've canned them, dried them, pickled them and frozen them; but never got around to using the preserved product--until now! 
Here is the way I prepared them:  I sliced them in half, added some basil leaves and whole garlic cloves, tossed them in a little olive oil (a tablespoon or two for a cookie sheet full)  and slow roasted/dried them in the oven at 250 degrees until they were wrinkly and somewhat dry.  It took 4-6 hours.  Afterwards, I packed the tomato halves, garlic and basil in a jar and added olive oil until they were covered (running a knife around the outside to be sure the air was out).   Store them in the refrigerator.  They will last for several months, but you will probably have devoured them before then. 
We tried some over pasta with grated parmesan on top.  Delicious!!!  They would also be good on French bread or atop cream cheese as a dip.
I will never turn down an offer of cherry tomatoes again--gardeners always seem to have a surplus towards the end of summer.

Ready for the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment